- E-book sales took a huge jump, up 116% compared to January 2010 (from $32 million to $70 million).
- Sales of downloadable audio books rose 9% in the same time period.
- Total books sales dropped to $805.7 million compared to January 2010’s $821.5M sales (-1.9%).
- Adult Hardcover category fell 11%
- Adult Paperback sales dropped 20%
- Adult Mass Market declined 31%
- Children’s/Young Adult, hardcover sales dropped 2%
- Children's/Young Adult paperbacks plunged 18%
- Sales of religious books grew by 5.6%
E-book Sales See Huge Jump; Hardback/Paperback Drop
Traditional publishing continues to falter while e-book sales soar, according to a just-released report from the Association of American Publishers. Here's the trends that every writer should keep an eye on, by the numbers: